Editor test

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
ayamex

Editor test

Postby ayamex » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Name: ayamex
Availability: gmt +8. A few hours during evenings if i have nothing important to do.
What Manga You're Interested In: Nothing specific. I'm not really picky. Tones are my frenemies. Those take a few tries at first.
Software: Photoshop CS6
Experience: I have but it was years ago. Trying to get back to the swing of things.
Other Groups: Applied for another group that sounds interesting.

It was the very interesting post on mangaupdates that brought me here. (Yes, I read every word of that block of text.) Planning on applying here as a redrawer but I'm still working on that on so I thought that I might as well throw this one here. Hope I didn't nuke anything too much ><

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cjxlykcj9 ... ayamex.rar

Wraith

Re: Editor test

Postby Wraith » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:11 am

Congratulations, ayamex, you pass for redrawing. This is our Head Redrawer, Mii's assessment:

For the redrawing test, does an applicant need to redraw the SFXs too? Because he/she didn't, but I think it did a good job at the other redraws. I would add 2 observations:
- on page 06, frame 1, top left corner: the contrast of the background part that was redrawed with the original background is too big and the part with the redraw is too noticeable. It is easy to solve with some burn/dodge;
- the redraws were all done on pages with typesets done, so I would not approve the redraws without the text, but with the text they look pretty good.

As it turns out, you don't need to redraw SFX, and hiding unredrawn areas with the typeset is perfectly fine, so Mii approved you.

For typesetting, our Head Typesetter Yothen says you need to brush up your centering (many text-boxes in bubbles were off-centre) and your sizing (the text was too small in most bubbles). However, your shaping and font choice are good, so if you practise a little and re-submit later, you may well pass.

As for cleaning, in principle you fail, but I'll pass you. You fail for scanned raws because you tend to solve Dust problems by using heavy filters and that causes loss of detail across the board. You also tend to overlevel. However, as I say in the recruitment ad, we are using webraws for several series, and for those all you need to do is remove the text from bubbles and join the halves of double pages (redrawing the gap in the middle if there is one). You are more than good enough to do that, so we'll be happy to have you join us as a cleaner. If you are interested, we can try and arrange for some training in cleaning later.

Based on that, I can offer you any of the positions below:

- Cleaning and redrawing Nanba MG5;

- Cleaning and redrawing Satanophany.

Because you took the general test, I can't tell whether your redrawing is good enough for Impossibility Defence, but we can find out when you are with us.

So? Are you in? If you are, let me know by posting your reply here, and please set your email notification options so you will know when you have a PM here: please go to the User control panel (the small person icon at the top right, to the left of the envelope), then Board Preferences>Edit Notification Options. On the line "Someone sends you a private message" (the last one), check both boxes. I'll send you a welcome message as soon as I hear from you.

I very much look forward to working with you ^_^
ayamex

Re: Editor test

Postby ayamex » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:59 am

Thank you! I'll be happy to work with you guys.

It's the tones isn't it? XD Anyway, I'd like to pick cleaning and redrawing for Satanophany if it no trouble? I have my notification on now but I'll go message you as well.

Thank you again!

Return to “Editing”