The staff

Wraith

The staff

Postby Wraith » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:48 am

Who is who in Death Toll

I wonder how important Meet the Staff sections are. I know few people read them. However, I figured out they can at least give a visitor a notion of how big the group is, which is something potential applicants consider. So while this may turn out to be a major exercise in futility, it could also end up tickling the curiosity of someone enough for them to make a decision to join us.

I used to say DT is a skeleton crew, but one day it wasn't true anymore and I almost got lynched for insisting on the point. People felt their very existence was being denied, and they rubbed it on my face that despite our modest output per person, we're quite a sizeable team nowadays. When I became admin, we could hardly fill a taxi. Now we can fill a double-decker bus, maybe.

What follows below is not a comprehensive list, but one of the members who are currently active in the team (that is, committed to a series), plus a few hangers-on. People currently in hibernation or MIA are left out, as are some about whom I don't know much to even make a credible introduction.

Some of it is fiction or stretching the truth, so if any member takes issue with it, let me know and I'll edit the profiles accordingly. Also, if I forget anyone, make sure to tell me and I'll correct it. Instead of making new posts, I'll just update this one over time, so staff replies in this thread may be from people who are no longer around.

The manga translators

Momimomi is the Head of the department and translates from Japanese. He is a creature of secluded habits and his primary source of dietary intake are seals. He is also a One-Man-Army and general pain in the neck because nobody is perfect enough to meet his standards, at least to meet them without unbearable nitpicking. He tends to give rookies nightmares, so we used to keep him hidden in our IRC channel. For whatever reason he came out of retirement a while ago and has been in charge of Sprite ever since. People who get their instruction on scanlation matters from him generally go insane, but because at Death Toll the difference is hardly ever noticed, it doesn't matter much. He has a tendency to be hoisted by his own petard.

Our freelancer is Royal, whose translations from Japanese are as good as his name implies. He is only with us for the moment, and has no lasting association with Death Toll other than his gracious commitment to Teizokurei Monophobia. He is incredibly well-connected in scanlation, has a very down-to-Earth attitude to it and is probably better known than Death Toll itself. Currently buried in real life, that's why you haven't heard much of Monophobia in the past couple years.

Then there's Chlorine. It is a very competent, self-taught translator, and chose "it" as its pronoun of preference. So we don't really know who or what It is, though it says it's just as its name implies, a cloud of poisonous gas. Only It's alive, very much so, and in charge of Rain and a couple of moe stuff of varying creepiness. It will be retired in the near future… or dissipated, perhaps. Sometimes it ionises or reacts with random stuff, so you can see various chemical presentations of it in our credits.

Our translator from Chinese is ttcchen. (But he learned JP in high school and in Japan, so he's skilled enough to check his scripts against the original, it's just more comfortable for him to do from CN). He discovered Nanba MG5 and didn't rest until we agreed to do it. He's fast-paced and motivated, and so should he be, because that series spans 33 volumes!

Setton is right now on break from translation, but he's usually in charge of Alcohol is for married couples. He's skilled, dependable and… drawn to cute stuff, so you won't see him in any of our main projects, which are really for people who have issues. He's as harmless as harmless comes, and that makes him the odd man out in Death Toll.

ArcherFromAussie is… an Archer from Aussie, though I believe "Archer" is some obscure pop reference that eludes this anachronistic twat. He's a bit busy in real life, so you see him back in action whenever an Ichigeki volume is out. If he's not killed by a taipan… or a funnel web spider… or a saltwater crocodile… or a blue-ringed octopus… or a box jellyfish… by the way, how do Aussies even stay alive? o_O

Seiichi is Japanese, and took up translation to improve his English. So the opposite of us peasants, in that he actually knows what he is reading. He's busy, but we expect him to churn out a chapter of Eisen Flügel when the weather permits.

When chapters translate themselves, it's because we discovered a strange alignment of circumstances that manifests in a well-known commercial city state in Southeast Asia. It's amazing, we just dangle a manga chapter in the air and a script drops out of nowhere. Sometimes, this phenomenon talks with us under several dish names in Discord.

Chug is Brazilian and joined us as an editor to do Souboutei must be destroyed, but has since obtained his credentials as a translator and is working on House of Holes on the side of his edition assignments. He's also majoring in Philosophy, and thus is one of the few non-STEM people here. Poor guy…

As for the translation of Souboutei itself, and of Rain Man and T-Dragon, it's a goddamn solipsist by the name of Mr Steak. He calls himself infallible, too, so he's always this close to being tarred and feathered and driven around in a steel beam to relieve our stress. But when he's not in a daze, he's a competent translator.

Erebea translated webnovels before joining us, so he's used to doing stuff that would drive a slowpoke like me crazy. Unfortunately, he's easily influenced by the stuff he works on and now he's taken to carping about the historical inaccuracies of his project, Issak. We listen to him in obsequious silence.

Soul might be a distant relative, since we both are spiritual entities that failed to move on due to unfinished business on Earth. In his case, the unfinished business is The Chronicle of Seven Cities, but we'll see to it that he never leaves this plane even if he finishes it.

And that leaves me, Wraith, as the remaining translator from Japanese. I happen to be a Scottish ghost Death Toll's admin, that is, everybody's all-so-obliging amanuensis and the person who does the drudgery. I am a terrible Quality Checker, and as such have been entrusted to quality checking just about everything here (except for Zero's moe which I don't care a hoot about and am creeped out by at times). Yes, our train of thought has long left the station of logic. I am in charge of Degausser, Task Force for Parananormal Disaster Management, The moon is beautiful tonight, but first, die and Shounen Y.

The cleaners

Our Head Cleaner is Leviathan. We weren't sure whether it was the sea serpent or the absolute sovereign Hobbes was talking about. His strange sense of humour suggests it's the former, and he/it hisses from time to time. But pending confirmation, we just took him in as a refugee from another group where he was being forced to do hard redraws when all he wanted was hard cleaning. Now he's a placid bystander in our staff channel's endless nonsense, and we think he's there mainly for the entertainment value. He is in charge of our flagship, Ouroboros.

BaganLee is our current workhorse, doing Nanba MG5, Funouhan and putting out fires when needed. He is one of very few editors we trained. Well, apparently he was ambushed by Achyif (see below), whose purpose in life is finding other people to do her work and… whatever, he's here now and that's what matter. You'll also see his name in a couple of other groups, but this is where he cut his teeth. (We seem to follow a trend of generating trained personnel for other teams…) Bagan is a quick, motivated learner and we hope he'll be around… because cleaners of this caliber are ever harder to find.

Grace is a dusting maniac. We suspect he spends part of his free time actually dusting things, like shelves and indoor plants. This makes him a little slow, but that's just perfect for Shounen Y, a series we release rather slowly. Amazing Grace… and now I'll kill myself before you do it for me.

The redrawers

Our team of redrawers is exceptionally skilled. Many of them passed our ridiculously hard full redrawing test, all in their first attempt, and they can take on the most demanding jobs. They are actually so good, despite many being rookies on arrival, that the Redrawing Department has been without a Head for quite a while without problems.

But now, we do have a Head. Name's TheShittyWiz. Apparently a relative hauled blunt objects at him earlier in life. Instead of becoming traumatised, he became a redrawer, which is almost the same thing but more productive. He became a redrawer elsewhere, but polished his skills to insane levels here. All redrawers are Ms, but he is also an S who likes to crush applicants' souls before signing his assessments with "Love, TheShittyWiz". After he became Head, I am forever nervous that people will begin to think of DT as some sort of school for redrawers, since his assessments are very detailed, illustrated and all. He's in charge of The moon is beautiful tonight, but first, die, but he actually came to work on Alcohol is for married couples. Not even I am sure how things could go so wrong, but whatever, so long as the work gets done. He can also clean and typeset masterfully.

The main redrawer for Ouroboros is æmiz, a young lady of distinction that redraws to soothe her mind and improve her sleep. (Did you hear that, you people who are constantly whining about the stress of redrawing? This lady here redraws to relieve stress, and is in charge of one of the hardest manga out there!) She dislikes redrawing much further ahead not to spoil herself, which keeps the pressure on me to translate Ouro regularly, so be thankful to her for that as well!

ILikeTurtles decided to defy the jinx that hovers over Suicide Island and applied spontaneously when I wasn't even recruiting. A little of a porcupine, writing in terse messages but always delivering near flawless redraws, he debuted in scanlation with us and has hung around ever since.

Achyif taught herself to redraw after I told her we needed a redrawer for Nanba MG5. In like, less than a month. Then she taught herself the other edition skills, found a translator faster than I ever could and founded a duet team to scanlate Desert Punk to general acclaim. Now she's working with quite a few groups while helping us with Nanba MG5, too. No-nonsense and with little patience for gits, I've been thinking of making her our Discord watchdog… by the way, she's also a master of shifting work off her own shoulders and onto others'. And because all redrawers are Ms, they gladly take it. Scary. She also cleans well and her typesets were deemed "passable" here.

Velosiped is a quiet resident of our Discord who evolved into a redrawing monster we've had trouble keeping satisfied. Her main assignments are Nanba MG5 and Change the world, but she vacuums anything that's lying idle in need of redrawing, so you'll see her name in several things we do (and a couple of things we don't do). Don't ask her to typeset anything, though, she hates it.

Redly is the king of patterns. And a very committed redrawer we should work harder at keeping entertained. He's in charge of Issak and Shounen Y. He's also the king of emojis, and we believe he might be a step ahead of everyone in the advance to non-verbal communication.

The typesetters

Our Head of Typesetting is Yothen, a rascally sarcastic, thick-skinned fellow whom Ouroboros and Deathtopia readers know for his witticisms in the margins. He is also a seasoned scanlation veteran who is no longer impressed by anything and a high priest of the Real Bubble Centering Church, and will be implacable on heretics who center on imaginary bubbles. His vision is genetically modified to detect 1-px deviations at a glance, which causes much dismay among applicants. He is also a decent cleaner and sometime-redrawer.

Realmruler1 is the Sprite typesetter. Also one who was good enough to pass Momimomi's standards. He has a to-business attitude, and delivers his typesets reliably and without much talk. His motivation never wanes and he never disappears, which is essential in a series that has gone through long spells of inconsistent releases like Sprite.

Drax is very persistent. In order to join us for Suicide Island, he went through a gruelling probation period under Yothen and Pochacco's tutelage. He came out a little ruffled, but has been a reliable, consistent typesetter ever since. And I'm always feeling guilty that we don't keep him entertained with chapters to do as much as we wish… but he's also in charge of Ichigeki.

Daruchow is a typical scanlation hero in that he contributes with typesetting Impossibility Defence even though his connection to the Internet is, in his own words, horrible. He passed our test on the first attempt, too. Committed and polite, he's a great addition to the team.

Kuroi works on Shounen Y… when she's not playing the flute. Aspires to being la femme à la flute d'or, if her father pays for the flute. Fingers crossed, Kuroi!

FTLTravel is a veteran scanlator and tag-teaming Daruchow on Impossibility Defence. I'm always feeling guilty that we don't give him work as often as we want…

Finz joined for Magic: the Gathering… and has been on standby ever since. Dammit.

Zeroman101 is our rookie, also fresh from a baptism of fire under Yothen. Fast, always willing to learn and with good instincts, we hope he'll make a bang in scanlation! Currently in charge of Under Ninja and Change the world.

The proofreaders

Our Head of Proofreading and oldest member of the team (both in age and time of service) is PervySageChuck (PervySageCharles for respect), a nutjob we cannot get rid of for fear of being sent to jail for releasing pestilence unto the world. So we keep him in the dungeon, since nothing else seems to work. He is notorious (and that's the appropriate word) in the scanlation community for… well, perversion and strange deviant behaviour. He originated our wicked habit of leaving abusive or sarcastic margin notes, and takes pride in that. He is in an extended break right now.

Zeroaintdead is our other proofreading machine, a veteran who takes pride in revising a page per minute. He is very well-connected in the scanlation community and is currently in charge of too many series to count. He can be a little scary to rookies for his blunt way with words, but delivers extremely polished proofs. He's also the main perpetrator of The Moeblob, a sting operation to make DT into a moe outfit. Over my dead body

Comicryan is Pervy's creature, a rookie trained by him and as such strives not only to correct grammar, but to improve style and flow. He was my partner in crime in Deathtopia and is learning Japanese as well. He lives in sweet idyll with his wife, who helps him proofreading on occasion and doesn't mind his doing ecchi series. Currently deployed to Shounen Y, Ichigeki and Suicide Island.

Aoyuyu is among the quietest members of the team, but that doesn't stop him from proofing Impossibility Defence, Under Ninja and Nanba MG5. I think he's the only proofreader I have never partnered up with…

EvilLittleThing the scanner

EvilLittleThing is the sole member of the team in charge of generating raws. She does it for Sprite, as our other series either use public raws or are stalled. A very enthusiastic rookie, she was ensnared into becoming a team member after a very quick exchange of comments after I announced we were out of high-quality raws. One moment she was asking about what it takes to generate raws, the next moment she was checking her scanner specs and learning to use a hairdrier to debind books, the next I had forced her hand to sign the dotted line. Nowadays she even uses latex gloves to debind and scan volumes… scary.

And that's it. A bunch of people ripe for the madhouse, ain't we? Ready to join?

PervySageChuck

Re: The staff

Postby PervySageChuck » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:34 am

"PervySageCHARLES"...!?

How DARE you!?

I demand that you show me the proper amount of (dis)respect by addressing me as "Your Royal Assholiness and Supreme Perversity, the Right (dis)Honorable PervySageChuck, Master(bater) to All Things Disgusting, Depraved, Despicable, Deviant and Delusional"!!!

Now... Bow down with your heads to the ground and your asses raised high so that I might violate and molest them at my leisure!
Thank you for your attention. We now return you to your regularly scheduled manga, already in progress.
motato

Postby motato » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Oh, Wraith! I can't explain just how much I love this hahaha
Great job!
Hanakumu

Postby Hanakumu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Great job...

You HAD to mention my probation, didn't you?!
Mii

Postby Mii » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:46 pm

That was really good! I have not got to know any of the other members, so it is really interesting to read a bit about who else is part of Death Toll! :)
Comicryan

Postby Comicryan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:07 am

Nice intros and good to see names associated with the projects.

XD
IlPalazzo-ojiisan

Postby IlPalazzo-ojiisan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:52 pm

> 20 people
> "Skeleton staff"

...the large groups I've been a part of were ~6 people, y'know.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:39 am

Updated. Let me know if I forgot anyone.
MaHa9392

Postby MaHa9392 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am

Thank you, Wraith, for the touching intro, it makes me tear up :')
O.O-Amy

Postby O.O-Amy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Hehe :^D amazing description about me ^u^ I’m satisfied.

Return to “Who is who at Death Toll”