Redrawers Test

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
Velosiped

Redrawers Test

Postby Velosiped » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 am

Name: Velosiped
Availability:I'm completely free for the following 3 months for now.
What Manga You're Interested In: Sprite
Software: Photoshop
Experience: None.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1xu97ywnb47 ... q_PTa?dl=0

I know I'm a complete beginner, but I'm eager to learn and improve.

theshittywiz

Re: Redrawers Test

Postby theshittywiz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:52 pm

Hello Velosiped, and sorry for the late answer.

I'm TheShittyWiz head redrawer at DT and here to give you some feedback on the test.

So first things first, you failed the test, there were several major errors throughout the pages. However, most of these errors are also very simple to fix.

First of all, cloning, when you use the clone tool, make sure the hardness is set to 100% if it isn't then the cloning starts to look blurry, an example of this can be seen on the first page, here's how the trees normally look, and here is how they look after you cloned them. This was an issue that was present on every single page in the test, so now that it has been mentioned, we won't focus too much on it in the rest of the evaluation. And so, without further ado let's get to the evaluation.

Page 1: You forgot to fully redraw some of the text out, and seemingly forgot about it after whitening it out, example: before and after.
Your redraws often look out of place when compared with the original art, for instance, this or this wall, the wall drawn by the manga artist uses either a different colour or screentone than the wall you redrew.
Finally, remember that as a redrawer, your job is only to draw in the blanks left by the Japanese characters, you shouldn't touch any art on the page, unless it's strictly necessary for you to fill in the space left by the Japanese characters, take a look at this wall for instance, that was how it looked in the original page, and this was how it looked in your version. There are several more instances on the page where you change the art without any real reason to, and this is an absolute no-go as a redrawer.

Page 2: You didn't completely remove the glow around some of the Japanese characters, like here(before) after and you also forgot to redraw this little bit.

Page 3: This page looks good overall, just suffers a bit from the aftermentioned cloning problem

Page 4: You can still see the divide between the two pages here as it wasn't fully redrawn, and remember to try and preserve the original art, (before) (after).

Page 5: You seem to have made a mistake while combining the two pages, since a portion of the left image has gone missing in you redrawn version(the girl with long hair lost a bit of her hair and some jellyfish disappeared).

Page 6: You forgot to redraw this little part, and the cloning above it also looks quite bad.
This screen tone suddenly gets darker even though it should just remain one as the lighter colour.

Page 7: Looks good, except the botched cloning.

Finally, I would like to make two more points.

Firstly, make sure to frequently check you redraws while redrawing, in order to avoid making mistakes, and when you're done take a look at the entire page, look especially close at the places where there used to be Japanese characters, in order to make sure that you redrew everything you had to and didn't forget any parts.

Secondly, at the moment we are only recruit redrawers for two series' Sprite and Alice or Alice, if you want to redraw Sprite, you would have to do the full test with the difficult page, otherwise the only series we can give you is Alice or Alice, which only requires you to pass the easy test. So while I won't stop you from retrying the same pages once more, keep this fact in mind.

Love, TheShittyWiz
Velosiped

Postby Velosiped » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi TheShittyWiz,

Thank you so much for the feedback! I am grateful for the pointers; there were a lot of things I wasn't aware about. Obviously I have a lot to work on, but I have time to kill so I will try to reattempted the pages again. I'll definitely focus on my cloning problem and not rush myself. I appreciate the time you have given me.

Thanks again,
Velosiped
Velosiped

Postby Velosiped » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:36 am

I reattempted the general test. I made sure to take all the feedback into consideration. Regardless of what happens, I had fun doing them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1xu97ywnb47 ... q_PTa?dl=0
theshittywiz

Postby theshittywiz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello again, Velosiped!

This time the test looks much better, and there are hardly any mistakes, however, there are still some things that need to be fixed, therefore I'm going to give you two quick assignments before approving you.

The first assignment, there are still some places in the pages were the cloned pattern looks a bit blurry. In order to fix this, I want you to go through the pages you've redrawn, find places that look blurry, and use the sharpen tool to fix them.
The sharpen tool should be set to a low strength ~20%, and then you should just you it until the parts you've cloned blends better in, let's, for example, look at these trees, here is how they look after having been sharpened.
Note: Make sure that the sharpen tool has 'Protect Details' turned on, and remember that the cloning does not look blurry on all pages, so don't do anything to the page if you don't think there's a need to sharpen.

The second assignment is simply to do some more lineart on the jellyfish page(region_03_0040+41) since there are some lines that come to an abrupt end.

And for a final note, a new possibility has opened up for you. At the moment, the only series' we are recruiting for are Alice or Alice, which is a sis-con, moe manga and, Lucifer's Right Hand and Sprite, both of which are very difficult series' which would require you to take the full test with difficult pages. However, if you want to, then the current redrawer for Nanba MG5 is willing to work on Alice or Alice, and you can instead work on Nanba MG5, which is an action shounen series, the only prerequisite for you working on Nanba is that you can redraw a chapter in, at most, a week. You can, of course, see the chapter after you have finished your assignment, and then judge if you can do it in a week or not.

Love, TheShittyWiz
Velosiped

Postby Velosiped » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 am

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qdv1vymqv41d ... YOA_a?dl=0

I hope haven't over sharpened, or missed anything.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm

Alright, Velosiped, you passed. I take over from here. Thanks, TSW!

I've sent you a message via PM here. Please set your email notification options to be notified when you have a PM in your inbox here: go to the User control panel (the small person icon at the top right, to the left of the envelope), then Board Preferences>Edit Notification Options. On the line "Someone sends you a private message" (the last one), check both boxes.

Return to “Editing”