Typesetting/Cleaning/Proofreading (maybe?)

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
CadmeanVixen

Typesetting/Cleaning/Proofreading (maybe?)

Postby CadmeanVixen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Name: CadmeanVixen
Availability: Su, M, T, W, Sa
What Manga You're Interested In: Zankyou. I'm actually not sure what else you guys scanlate, but I don't mind working on whatever it is you need.
Software: Photoshop CS5
Experience: Yes, I have 2 years of experience; however, that was 7-8 years ago.
Other Groups: I am no longer in a scanlation group. When I was, I was a part of IEatManga/Souls, Akashi Scans, and Imperial Scans. I was primarily a proofreader, but I also did typesetting/redrawing (at the time, those two positions were one in the same). Some of the manga series I've worked on were: Fairy Tail, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Deadman Wonderland, Area D, Kuroko no Basket, and some others that have slipped my mind. My IGN changes often, but the two I used most were "Chiaki" and "Phoisyummy". Anyway, I hope you guys will consider me...! Also, I would not mind taking the proofreading test, even though I know you aren't recruiting for that position... but... maybe??

Go easy on me, it's been awhile...!
Here's my test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yei757fukr7l ... D.rar?dl=0

I understand that there are different standards for each scanlation group, so feel free to let me know what yours are, and I will happily oblige/make attempts to improve.

Thanks!!
Last edited by CadmeanVixen on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wraith

Re: Typesetting Test and Proofreading (maybe?)

Postby Wraith » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi, CadmeanVixen, nice to make your acquaintance and thanks for applying!

As you said, you are rusty. So our Head Typesetter took a good look at the test and while you don't pass, the good news is that he had nothing to say about your shaping, sizing, word breaking and font choice. So you still have the hang of it.

You made two small mistakes: using Strong Anti-Aliasing and Outer Glow where you should use Stroke. We wouldn't have failed you for that, as these are easy to correct.

The problem is your centering. It still needs polishing. Especially in the last page, the one with the policeman in the forest. You really got the centering of the bubble wrong in that one. But that was only the most egregious one, you need to improve bubble centering throughout.

At this point, I think just a quick refreshing of centering rules by reference to a typesetting guide, followed by some careful correction of your test, should do the trick.

However, I'll let you know that we're still a far cry from committing to Zankyou as a project. We still need a cleaner and while we have a redrawer who could fill in for a while, in the end we'll need a dedicated one for it, too. It's just three volumes, but not a very easy series, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, we don't need typesetters for other series right now. Our current shortage of staff is in cleaning.

So you can take your time making corrections and resubmitting, and if you pass, I'll get in touch if and when we get a full team. As I said in the recruitment ad, we have the whole first volume translated right now.

In case you want to resubmit, good luck with the corrections.

Thanks again,

Wraith.

P.S.: IEM was one of the groups I admired at the time. I was an avid Beelzebub reader and liked Deadman Wonderland quite a lot, too.
CadmeanVixen

Postby CadmeanVixen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Oh yeah, I really wasn't sure on that last page, 'cause the bubble stretches all the way to the left, even though it felt like there should have been a cut-off with that panel.

I can attempt a cleaning test, but that was the role I did the least.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "strong anti-aliasing and outer glow"? I've been told once the way I use the stroke feature was unconventional, but wasn't a big deal. How do you guys do it?

It's nice that you know about IEM! Beelzebub was another I worked on, but only for a few chapters.

Thanks for taking your time reviewing.
I wouldn't mind trying again; I'll resend the files later tonight or tomorrow.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:14 am

In the character options tab in PS, there's a drop-down box with anti-aliasing options. Typesetting is usually done at Smooth, with very few exceptions.

As for Stroke… there isn't much to explain, just use white stroke a couple of pixels wide instead of outer glow :)
CadmeanVixen

Postby CadmeanVixen » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 am

Wraith wrote:In the character options tab in PS, there's a drop-down box with anti-aliasing options. Typesetting is usually done at Smooth, with very few exceptions.

As for Stroke… there isn't much to explain, just use white stroke a couple of pixels wide instead of outer glow :)

Awesome, thanks!

I redid the strokes and re-centered all texts. Also, all of the texts should be set to Smooth; it was last time, and I'm not sure how it changed...?
Anyway, here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxiy21fnbiqh0 ... D.rar?dl=0

Let me know if there's anything else I need to do. I'll start on the cleaning test, too (or maybe I can ask old friends to help out).
I hope I pass...! *fingers cross*
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:11 am

The Head Typesetter is still asleep in his time zone, so I'll ask him to assess your test later… if you still want us to do it.

The reason I ask for confirmation is that Hi wa mata noboru, another group, has just released the entire first volume of Zankyou. We can't compete understaffed as we are, nor do we intend to as it would be pointless redundant work.

As you had this series in mind when you applied, I guess it's only fair to let you know that it's no longer an option.

No hard feelings if you don't want to work with us now.

But if you still do, I'll have your test assessed. (Though what we really need are cleaners…)

Let me know your answer.
CadmeanVixen

Postby CadmeanVixen » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:15 pm

That is fine; I still don't mind joining. If you need me to typeset any other series, I can do that. Or if you want me as a back up when another typesetter needs a break, that's fine too.

Thanks for letting me know.
CadmeanVixen

Re: Typesetting/Cleaning/Proofreading (maybe?)

Postby CadmeanVixen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:24 am

I wasn't home for very long today, but I got a page cleaned.
Before I get too far ahead of myself, I hope this is all right...? I don't have quite an eye for cleaning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqo3ivxrsx6kq ... e.rar?dl=0
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:18 pm

CadmeanVixen wrote:I don't have quite an eye for cleaning.

Oh dear, that's true. You really don't XD

Sorry, I'm just pulling your leg. But yeah, the pictures is overlevelled and overfiltered. Details were lost and the grainy texture of the art became messy.

Also, sorry we haven't assessed your TS test yet, the person in charge seems to have taken a day off. I've taken a look, but as I am not a typesetter myself, I will shut my mouth for now.
CadmeanVixen

Postby CadmeanVixen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Wraith wrote:
CadmeanVixen wrote:I don't have quite an eye for cleaning.

Oh dear, that's true. You really don't XD

Sorry, I'm just pulling your leg. But yeah, the pictures is overlevelled and overfiltered. Details were lost and the grainy texture of the art became messy.

Haha, no, it's true. I really don't. XD
At least an attempt is better than none. Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up joining Hi Wa Mata Noboru for Zankyou, and I'd like to focus typesetting for them, rather than attempting more failed clean pages... haha. Sorry to disappoint, but I'll give my attempts a rest for now.

However, I still wouldn't mind helping you guys out for typesetting whenever.

Return to “Editing”