Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
Sisyphus

Typesetter's Test

Postby Sisyphus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Name: U.N.Owen
Availability: Fri -Sat- Sun , 10+ gmt
What Manga You're Interested In: Satanofani
Software: CS6
Experience: I guess I have some experience, though I've never typeset a shounen manga. I can clean too, but not really confident in that.
Other Groups: Nil

The test is here https://www.mediafire.com/?hsiczgl9bd3936q

Wraith

Re: Typesetter's Test

Postby Wraith » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Nice try, but we also read … And then there were none. Next time you try to troll a group, think of a fake name that's less obvious.

A shame, though. The test is pretty good, you might have passed.

In case you are wondering about the impact of your failed attempt, it took us about two minutes to figure it out.
Sisyphus

Postby Sisyphus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:55 am

Don't know if I'm being trolled or you're actually serious.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:07 am

Well… you'd be the second overachiever to try to troll us.

A translator applied in January, passed, and when we gave him his first task, he sent me a trollface and told me they had never had any intention to join us. So I hope you understand if we are a little squeamish.

If you didn't intend to troll, "U. N. Owen" was a poor choice. Seriously? "Unknown"? Agatha Christie invented that one more than 70 years ago!

I'll admit that your test was good, though we were so sure it was a troll that we didn't give it a full assessment.

Now I'll ask you: do you want us to assess your test based on your assurance that it is serious?
Sisyphus

Postby Sisyphus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:11 am

I like the name and the book, that's all. How could I possibly expect people on the Internet to take an anonymous username seriously?

And yes, I was serious about the test. Though I was sort of clumsy and lazy with the sfx since usually I would just erase and replace all the non intrusive ones.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:20 am

In that case, accept my apologies.

The last page (page 06) is done wrong, though. You skipped a panel and that resulted in the text boxes falling in the wrong places. Would you like to do that page again prior to resubmission? The Head Typesetter went to sleep in his time zone already, so the test won't be assessed until later this Saturday.

(The hint above is to redeem myself for being too suspicious.)

If you want, re-post the link here with the updated application.
Sisyphus

Postby Sisyphus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:25 am

Apologies accepted. Also sorry about the unpleasant experience before, though I can't really wrap my head around how some feel the need to go the extra mile to troll a scanlator group.

I've updated the file in the mediafire link. Thanks for the head-up.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Well, Sisyphus, this time I got our Head Typesetter to look at your test with a fine comb and… I'm afraid you don't pass.

Here's a detailed list of comments:

P1: All bubbles rest below center.
P2: B1 is high, B2 is low, (stroke's a tad too wide for my liking, but whatever), B3a is low.
P3: See P1. B2 is over sized.
P4: There's 3 different fonts for speech here, not counting shouts. Can't decide if SFX in margings, or in panels. B1: ellipsis on it's own line (I do it sometimes, but I generally avoid it like the plage), below center. B3a is high, B4 is low, B5 is pretty high.
P5: No consistency for shouts. B1 is a teensy bit high, B2 is off to the left and a bit high. B3 pair is undersized, a is high, b is low. B5 is high, 6 is undersized and off to the left, 7 is also off to the left and could be shaped better.
P6: No consistency for notes (font-wise and position-wise). No consistency for thought bubbles. Ellipsis on its own line. b1 is off to the right (like 2 pixels high, too, but let's not go there). b2 is leaning a bit to the left (<insert nitpick about it being high here>).

By "consistency", he means your font choice was erratic (even though you didn't choose ugly fonts). The principle is: if you choose a font for a situation, please stick to it. There's the eternal question of whether one should change fonts whenever the mangaka did so in the original, or whether one should develop a consistent scheme of changing fonts based on bubble shape and context (the one the Head Typesetter here uses). We didn't check whether you followed the mangaka, but even if you did, the centering problems and others still make this a fail.

Your shaping is mostly good, which is rare in new applicants. Congrats on that!

Should you choose to re-apply, we'll be happy to assess it again, as many times as you wish.

One more time, sorry for the previous misunderstanding.

Return to “Editing”