Typesetter App

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
Draxicor

Typesetter App

Postby Draxicor » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 am

Name: Drax
Availability: At the moment, couple hours almost every day.
What Manga You're Interested In: Any, Suicide Island is my favorite, if it needs staff.
Software: Photoshop CC
Experience: To be honest, very little. I have done some pages/series just for fun. Never publicly shared my work.
Other Groups: None.
Last edited by Draxicor on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wraith

Re: Typesetter App

Postby Wraith » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:15 am

Hi, Drax! Thanks for applying!

First, your assessment, beginning with the mistakes: (read it till the end, you won't regret it)

i. On page 02, you made the most egregious mistake by making everything left-aligned. What possessed you? XD
ii. On page 06, you used Felt for off-bubble thoughts. We only use Felt for SFX notes here, but you're under no obligation to know that in advance. The problem is that Felt isn't a good choice for any font used in the main narrative. Fonts for thoughts, speech, the narrator and so on should be very legible. The standard choice for thoughts is to use the same font as for speech, but italicised (and sometimes in grey). Of course, that's not universal.
iii. Again on page 06, you sized the last two bubbles improperly. I wasn't bothered by the second to last, but the Head Typesetter thinks it's still undersized. But the last one was totally off, we think you may have forgotten to set the font size for it altogether.

Now the good things:

i. Other than the two bubbles on page 06, you sized everything properly or at least acceptably.
ii. You have good instincts for shaping. I would have used three lines for "Run hence anon!" on page 05, but that's a purely aesthetical choice, yours wan't wrong.
iii. Your centering needs a little work, but it comes with practice, only experienced typesetters and perfectionist freaks would notice the problems. Best of all, you center on the actual bubble, not the imaginary full bubble in the case of incomplete bubbles. That's also an aesthetical choice, but it's one we look on approvingly. There are many good typesetters who center on the imaginary bubble or something in between, though.

So, the verdict is…

You pass. Congratulations!

However, as for everyone who doesn't get a perfect TS application, your first typesets with us will be assessed by the Head Typesetter, Yothen. We'll expect improvement on the problems mentioned above during this probation period.

The series we have in need of typesetting right now, unfortunately, don't include Suicide Island. (You'll get early peeks of it as team members have access to all projects that are done in the forums, of course.) We have a spot for Ichigeki, which has only one volume out yet, which we're doing. Here's the link for the MU profile: http://bit.ly/2k5dSYE (I'm afraid the profile doesn't help much at this stage, though. It's a historical martial arts, action seinen.) And we have a spot for Impossibility Defence (http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Funouhan), which we'll relaunch by the end of this month (so you'll have to wait a little to begin working on this, as we are waiting for the raws I've purchased to reach their destination and be scanned. We'll use the current staff to relaunch the series, but we'll also need to recruit a cleaner and a redrawer for it, so it may take a little while to pick up speed. Just saying.) Depending on whether the TSer for God, you bastard, I wanna kill you! thinks she could do with a partner, we may have a position there, too, but I'll have to ask her.

If you are okay with the short probation period and interested in any of the projects above, please send me a PM and I'll answer with further instructions. To be notified by email when you have a PM here, please go to the User control panel (the small person icon at the top right, to the left of the envelope), then Board Preferences>Edit Notification Options. On the line "Someone sends you a private message" (the last one), check both boxes.

Looking forward to work with you! ^_^

P.S.: My time zone is UTC-2, so you may not get an answer from me till 12 hours or more from now, as I am going to sleep soon.

Return to “Editing”