Cleaner Test

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
Yrogerg

Cleaner Test

Postby Yrogerg » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi

These are my edited pics. Although i am disappointed about my skills and program preference.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w8v0i1mer1g9 ... 2FE5a?dl=0

Wraith

Re: Cleaner Test

Postby Wraith » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Hi, Yrogerg, and thanks for the interest.

I am afraid that currently we are not recruiting for cleaners. As you can see in our recruitment ads that run with the chapters and elsewhere, our open positions right now are for redrawers.

However, I gave your application a look and I am afraid you don't pass. Basically:

i. All your pics look blurred. Very much so, actually. I dunno what you did (I am assuming you used some heavy filters to get rid of dust, like Photoshop Blur), but it damaged the art badly.

ii. You didn't crop or straighten the pictures.

iii. You saved everything as JPEG, which causes loss of information. Cleans should be in PSD format to allow for layer-based corrections.

iv. Everything is overlevelled.

v. Picture 05 needed resizing, and you didn't do it.

I'm sorry, but you only emptied bubbles, nothing else. Cleaning is much more than that. We have several tutorials listed in our Tutorials section, and this is one for beginners made by our former Head Redrawer, Sarrymast: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6en2crmm68qw ... .docx?dl=0 If you want to join a scanlation group as a cleaner, I'd recommend that first you polish your skills a little more.

Good luck!
Guidance

Postby Guidance » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:55 pm

I just learned how to upload in dropbox just now lol ok here is my application too

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w3ptvkfx626sge9/AAA7bzNw6N0DLKR1n2yEV7SEa?dl=0

I'm looking forward for your comments on my work, if I fail its okay, at least I tried lol ^_^
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:56 am

Hi, Guidance, thanks for the interest!

First, allow me to tell you that you ought to have created your own thread to post your test, instead of using Yrogerg's. That way, only you will receive a notification that there's been a response. When someone posts a comment in a thread, other people who have posted in the same thread are notified. So, Yrogerg will have received a notice, too, while this doesn't have anything to do with him. In any case, it's not your fault, I'll post clearer instructions in the future.

Now, about your test.

I'm afraid you don't pass. Here's a detailed assessment:

i. You saved everything as JPEGs. Cleans must be saved as PSDs. Saving as JPEGs creates artifacts and causes loss of detail.

ii. As far as I can tell, you have only removed the text from the bubbles and done some levelling. Unfortunately, cleaning is much more than that. Other than pages 01 and 02, which are good, all the others needed things like straightening and cropping, as well as, and most importantly, Dusting. Page 05 needed proper levelling, too, but it wasn't done.

Also, I believe you were doing an old edition of our test. If I posted the wrong link, my bad, but it should be this one: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o3maaxirqlyg ... A8tPa?dl=0 As you can see, a couple pages are different.

However, before you decide to do it again, let me tell you that things have changed in the past few days. It's true that until last week I was recruiting a cleaner for God, you bastard, I wanna kill you!, but you can see that I stopped doing so in our latest release (Ouroboros 92). It's advisable always to check the latest version a given group's recruitment ad, because things change very fast in scanlation.

Because our redrawer to God, you bastard…, Mii, is going on an extended break, even if you had passed for cleaning, we wouldn't be able to give you work, because there would be no one to redraw it afterwards. So I stopped recruiting for a cleaner.

I did see you attempted redrawing a little in the pages you cleaned. Unfortunately, the redraws are quite apparent and not good enough for the positions we have available. On the cloud on region_03_0194, we can see that the edge on the redrawn area is messy. Same for the houses on 10_152. And even your redraw of the pistol on page 05 needs some retouching, as I can see where the text originally was effortlessly.

In the message you sent me, you asked about pages you found here: https://goo.gl/qfnsc6 This is our full redrawing test. It's not meant for cleaning, and we won't really assess your application if you just clean those pages. However, from what I saw in your application, you would need to polish your skill before you can attempt this test, which is by no means easy. Actually, if you can pass that test you can probably redraw anything in Black & White for essentially any group.

If you choose to rise to the challenge, I wish you good luck and feel free to apply again when you see fit. But always check whether we're still recruiting and for what positions.

Thank you very much, and take care.

Return to “Editing”