Cleaner Test

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
Ferro

Cleaner Test

Postby Ferro » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:31 am

Name: Ferro
Availability: I still in college but i'm free around Friday to Saturday
What Manga You're Interested In: Kakushigoto brought me here, but i'll do any manga
Software: I'm using Photoshop
Experience: done some before, i don't know if it considered cleaning or redrawing.. i posted them here; https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 000&type=3
Other Groups: none

link to PNGs : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... z8hvqll8GI

Wraith

Re: Cleaner Test

Postby Wraith » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:02 pm

Hello, we need the PSDs to be able to assess your applications. The PNGs are hard to compare to the original, we need the raw layer for convenience.
Ferro

Postby Ferro » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:07 am

Updated the link, please kindly check it
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:43 am

Alright, Ferro, I have your assessment by our Head Cleaner:

The positive thing is that you know how to use curves. Most cleaners use levels, so knowing a superior technique to adjust tones is a good start.

However, I'm afraid your application is problematic for a number of reasons:

i. You haven't removed the paper texture.
ii. You haven't dusted the pages.
iii. You have missed a few bubbles.
iv. Instead of changing image mode to greyscale, you used a layer to accomplish that. The instinct of doing things non-destructively is a good thing, but manga is only released in B&W, so you don't need to go this far.
v. You failed to make the white areas in the Ouro pages truly white.
vi. You didn't resize. We don't normally tell people which size to choose because we want to test their instincts first (for example, checking one of our series to confirm our release size), but high-quality physical scans in Death Toll should be released at 2400 px height. Anything digital stay at its size and as for public and low-q raws, you have to make a call as to what looks good.
vii. Using curves is good, but yours were too aggressive, so it's a matter of getting a good balance of adjusting tones while preserving details of the art.
viii. You don't need to redraw for this test, and we won't assess how well you do it. In the case of double pages with art missing in the middle, you must leave a gap. The duty of the cleaner is to align the edges properly and leave a gap of adjustable width that the redrawer can fill later. If you leave no gap, the redrawer may even miss the area that needs redrawing. You may leave anything that is superimposed on art untouched.
ix. You didn't straighten the pages properly.
x. Cropping was also incomplete, we can see some black at some edges.

As you probably have guessed by now, we're unable to approve you for cleaning with us based on this application.

From now on, you have two options (other than giving up):

a. If you want to retry on your own, I suggest you read a guide from this list and use it to practise cleaning: https://quicksandscans.wordpress.com/resources/ (The compiler of this list cut her teeth with us and is one of our most versatile editors.) Then you can re-submit your application to us when you feel you've managed to fix the problems listed. For practising on your own, you might prefer Delux's Cleaning Guide, which is the most detailed one. Also browse that list, there are lots of useful stuff there.

b. If you'd like to be trained, you're in luck: we're exceptionally taking people in to teach them the ropes. In that case, from the resources list you can choose Sarrymast's Guide for beginners, which is much less detailed and shorter than Delux's, and use a couple of pages from the test to practise on. We need someone to clean volume physicals, and the pages in the test that apply are 5, 7, 8 and the two Ouro pages. Page 6 is physical, but it's from a magazine and a little trickier, but it's good for practice as well. You don't need to do all of them, or get them perfect, just get a feeling for the cleaning steps and tools and then contact us to show you've made progress. We'll need you to join us in Discord so I can hook you up with a veteran cleaner to train you.

Whether you choose to try again or not, thank you very much for your interest so far. All the best!
Ferro

Postby Ferro » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:33 am

thank you for the reply!

i just realised i missed so much on Ouro pages <.<;

i'll check the tutorial after class today..
so after practicing, i have to redo the pages and send the link again in this post?
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:38 am

If you choose to practise on your own and submit an improved application, yes, do it here. If you want to follow the route of training, just find me in Discord and show me the samples you practised on using Sarrymast's guide. Good luck!

Return to “Editing”