Cleaner/typesetter test

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
wreathed

Cleaner/typesetter test

Postby wreathed » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:02 am

Name: wreathed
Availability: Should be available a little bit each day. Weekends mostly open.
What Manga You're Interested In: Technically Rain, but I think those spots are closed. Open to doing other manga for experience.
Software: Photoshop
Experience: None, this is my first attempt

I've finally obtained a real computer and posted on Discord that I'm trying to learn how to do scanlation, but I'm pretty sure this won't turn into a pass. But I'm looking forward to some tips and help on improvement! Thanks for your time :) (also if the zip files don't work or something I'm so sorry I've had a Chromebook for 6 years)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nVFVM ... oFG2I1kRg1

Wraith

Re: Cleaner/typesetter test

Postby Wraith » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi, Wreathed,

I've taken a look at your Cleaning test and then talked with Leviathan. I'm going to resume a practice we used to have until recently: since I have some training in cleaning, I often did triage of new applicants and only forwarded their tests to the Head Cleaner when they attained a minimum of quality that could benefit from more skilled advice than mine.

I'm afraid that, in your case, you aren't quite there yet. It's not yet even at the point in which you can benefit from page-by-page feedback, so I'm going to give you some very general pointers.

i. You're relying too much on heavy filters to clean. They eliminate detail and give the page an unnatural appearance. That's particularly visible on pages 1, 2, 4 and 5. The patterns of the smoke were completely lost on page 4, for example.

ii. You're also overlevelling. That's a problem in all pages. Details are lost across the board.

By the way, you forgot to do one page (113.png), you didn't notice 1 and 2 are two halves of a double and you only cleaned one of the halves of page 7.

I suggest you use a comprehensive tutorial to polish your skills, like this one: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WhL ... fMrng/edit

If you choose to reapply, feel free to do it.

Return to “Editing”