Typesetter Test!

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
Kuroi

Typesetter Test!

Postby Kuroi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:37 pm

[b]Name: Swee
[b]Availability:To be completely honest my schedule is very random because I'm in college and my free time is different every single day. That being said, I work relatively fast on things like this due to my experience in similar things.
[b]What Manga You're Interested In: Jisatsutou/Suicide Island!!!! But if I really can't do that then anything is fine.
[b]Software: Photoshop
[b]Experience: I've never done typesetting for a scanlation group before. However, I have made various flyers/ADs for various groups and organizations at my school. I know that is not the same work but it requires me to have a good eye for detail, blend fonts and colors etc. to make things more visually appealing. I often have to adapt to things like this quickly so I'm sure that if my work is not to your liking immediately and you give me some tips I can make that adjustment and do a way better job next time!

Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uKtB1 ... Of60gY3H9y

Wraith

Re: Typesetter Test!

Postby Wraith » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi, VSwee, thanks for the application and sorry for the delay in responding.

I had our Head Typesetter assess your application and his verdict is that, while there were some positive points in it, we are unable to pass you at present.

Basically, you sized text appropriately 85% of the time (page 3 is completely oversized, though), and you shaped all blocks of text properly.

The problem is centering. It's all over the place and needs redoing.

And that's it. Feel free to work on the problems and reapply if you want to, we'll be delighted to reassess it.
Kuroi

Postby Kuroi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:54 am

Ok I did it over and updated it. The same link should work. Thanks for your time!
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi, VSwee,

This time you got a thorough assessment, mainly on centering: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /VSwee.txt

If there were no comments on something, it's because you did that thing well and should keep it unchanged in case you decide to re-apply.

This is a famous TS guide you may wish to refer to in order to polish your skills: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/11n5sy0mlhbh ... EySsa?dl=0
Kuroi

Postby Kuroi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:19 am

Thanks! I'll be frank. I looked over the guide and read the feedback but I still don't fully get how to center. TT TT I know that sounds crazy idk maybe I'm doing it wrong. I get that it needs to be an equal distance on each side but idk how to measure that since there's no grid (that I know of at least) so I'm kinda just eyeballing it as best I can. Sorry for the trouble!! If you don't want to invest more time in this I totally get it. I'll just work on it on my own.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 am

No worries! And hey, if you got a little put off by the Head Typesetter's snarky, even terse remarks, don't. He is like that with everyone. If he decided to give you a full assessment, it's because he saw progress and promise in your applications. Otherwise, he wouldn't bother.

If you decide to apply yet again, we'll be delighted to reassess it.
Kuroi

Postby Kuroi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Not at all!(It was a little funny actually) As long as you guys are willing to work with me I'll keep trying. With that being said, it's time for Round 3!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
yothen

Postby yothen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:33 am

Yo. I'm the dude busting your balls.
There is still some improvement to your centering (page 3 is a bit low, for example), but shaping is great, and sizing too, for the most part (i.e. panel 2 in page 4).
That said: welcome aboard, son.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:58 am

Thanks, Yothen, I take over from here.

VSwee, I'm sending you a PM. You can see it in your inbox (the envelope symbol at the top right).

Welcome to Death Toll!

Return to “Editing”