Redrawer Test

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
ai1111

Redrawer Test

Postby ai1111 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:19 am

Name: ai
Availability: A little sporadic at the moment as I will be starting a new job soon. I'm quite alert of my emails and messages though.
What Manga You're Interested In: Ouroboros brought me here, and I read The Moon is Beautiful Tonight, but First, Die too. However, on the off chance that I'm chosen, currently I don't mind taking up anything ^-^
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS6
Experience: No. This is my first time redrawing, which I'm sure will be painfully obvious.
Other Groups: None.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtkFuK4gC1G-hEdQ6IdD5eg8BYje

theshittywiz

Re: Redrawer Test

Postby theshittywiz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello Ai.

I'm TheShittyWiz, the head redrawer at DT, here to give you an assessment (sorry about taking a while to write back).

First of all, you didn't pass the test, there were too many pages with minor mistakes on them, especially when it comes to pattern cloning, however, the test did show a lot of promise, especially for your first attempt. Now then, I'll give you a little feedback by going over the pages and telling what could be improved.

10_152: This page looks very good, with nice linework and cloning, my biggest complaint on this page would be the roof of this house, one half of the roof looks sharp, while the other looks blurry, and has some black lines going up it.

43 r: This page also looks very good, and you did a good job preserving the gradient in the girl's hair. The only two things of note on this page would be this shadow, which bulges a bit too far forward, compared to the hand, the other thing would the this strand of hair, which hasn't quite been connected. Though, both of these things are very minor, and not something that would fail you.

0069 + 0070: These pages were meant to be merged together, you don't have to redraw the SFX since we don't do that in Death Toll.

101: This page has too many mistakes to pass. The biggest problem throughout the page is the thickness of the redrawn hair, as it doesn't fit together with the other strands, and ends up looking awkward, example, notice how some of the strands also look disconnected as if a part of the is missing. Also, a very important note when redrawing hair, be careful with straight lines, hair is meant to be curved and flowing, hence straight lines often stick out, like this one.

Cradle_02-03: Overall, this page looks very good. The biggest problems on this page would be this text outline, which hasn't been fully redrawn, as well as some parts of the redrawn middle, which looks a bit lighter than the surrounding areas, for problems like this you can just use the burn tool on the lighter area(make sure to use a low strength while burning). Also, you don't have to redraw the title, though you, of course, won't be penalized for doing so.

Cradle_20-21: This page suffers from the same problem as before, where the redrawn middle section looks a bit lighter than the surrounding areas. Linework looks a bit clunky as well, but it's nothing too bad.

Otogi 115: This page suffers from a few problems. Firstly, some of the patterns don't fit together both in thickness and looks, one of the recommendations I can give here is using the spot healing brush set on Content-aware, while it won't fix all the problems it will help you along the way, here's an example: Before -> After. Secondly, some patterns don't mix together with the others in terms of colour, example 1, example 2, as I said before, you can use the burn tool to darken areas, you can also use the dodge tool to lighten areas, just be careful not to overuse them. Finally, some areas have been whited out, but not fully redrawn, for example: Before -> After.

region_03_0040-0041: As before, the redrawn middle part looks a bit lighter some places, compared to the surrounding areas. There is also some lineworkthat doesn't quite add up.

region_03_0194: Looks good, nothing to complain about here.

The two biggest recommendations I could give you would be:
1. Make sure lines and patterns fit together, in thickness and colour, as well as making sure they are properly merged together, for things like this, tools like the healing brush and dodge/burn can be immensely helpful
2. Make sure to do double checks, both while you are redrawing(ctrl+z) and after you've finished something(by turning the redrawn layer on/off) in order to make sure that everything looks as natural as possible.

Feel free to retry the test if you want, and if you don't, then thank you for your time and attempt.

Love, TheShittyWiz
ai1111

Postby ai1111 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 am

Hello TheShittyWiz,

I'm really sorry for the late reply! I thought that once someone replies, I will get a notification via email, so I kept checking my email but didn't actually check this forum itself. Again, my apologies.

For a while now I've been wanting to give back to the amazing people who do scanlations, as I enjoy reading manga very often, so when I had a break between finishing my postgraduate studies and waiting for a job offer, I decided to attempt the test. However, I've recently gotten a job offer I decided on taking, so I might be busy with moving and adjusting to a new life, so to speak. As much as I'd love to re-attempt the test, the aforementioned reason, coupled with my grandparents being unwell for a long term, makes me think that it's unfair of me to sort of offer to help when I'm not sure I can deliver. Perhaps I will try again once things are more settled.

I do wish I can help out though! The only other position I would even consider is as a proofreader, but as English isn't my first language, I don't have enough confidence for the job (sadly). Still, thank you so much for taking the time to assess my attempt. I am aware that I'm still very lacking, but your assessment and pointers are very helpful and I hope to improve (however slowly).

Also, thank you for all that you guys do! Manga lovers like me are eternally grateful for the time and effort you put into making them accessible for us <3
theshittywiz

Postby theshittywiz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Hello Ai.

Sad to hear you won't reattempt, but it's understandable as real life always should be prioritized over hobbies, and I'm very happy that you considered if you had the time or not, instead of just retrying. Best of luck with your new job and I hope your Grandparents will return to good health soon.

Thanks for taking your time with us, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Love, TheShittyWiz
ai1111

Postby ai1111 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Hello theshittwiz,

Thank you for the well wishes. It’s very sweet of you — and it makes me sadder that I’m unable to work with the group. You all seem like very nice people.

I hope this isn’t the last you’ll see of me. Have a good day!

Return to “Editing”