People applying to scanlation thinking it's a real job

achyif

People applying to scanlation thinking it's a real job

Postby achyif » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:56 pm

I've reached some kind of breaking point in tolerance. Whenever you run a small group with few releases, you don't expect many applicants. Yet, over the past half year or so, I've gotten numerous applications that are or I suspect are applications to my group (QSS) thinking that it's a paid gig. Through asking some of them, seems like they find this post on google https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic. ... post773361 and due to my linking my recruitment page as my signature in the second response, they end up finding my email and think it's part of that recruitment. I did not mention on my recruitment page that it is not paid, but don't most groups not have to say that? Unshockingly, most these people are not great at English.

And so, I'm going to post every applicant so you can make your own judgement on the situation. These emails make up about half of the emails I receive on my scanlation email address. Most email chains are truncated because they contain no further relevant information and are just coordination or pleasantries.

Date: Wed, May 20, 4:28PM
Subject: Ask
To me:
Is this paid official work or commissioned fan work?

https://quicksandscans.wordpress.com/recruitment/

Date: Sat, May 23, 6:29 AM
Subject: Typesetter Position
To me:
Good Day!

I came across your post on MangaUpdates. Are you still looking for typesetters?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Regards,
[name]

From me:
Hello,
I am looking for typesetters, but just to clarify, are you responding to my recruitment page linked forum signature or are you looking to respond to the hiring typesetters post? They are different things.

To me:
Hi!

Thank you for your response. I think I’m referring to the typesetter post. Here:

https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?tid=121230

Thank you.

Date: Mon, Jul 6, 12:01 PM
Subject: TYPESETTING APPLICATION
To me:
Hello,

My name is Dayo and I will like to apply as a Type-Setter. I have experience as a typesetter as I worked for animaru and help white cloud pavilion before taking a break. I will appreciate it if I can be given the opportunity to typeset, I do not have experience with in-design but can learn quickly.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

From me:
Hello,

Do you have sample work?
And just to check because you mentioned animaru, you know that this is volunteer work and unpaid, right?

To me:
Hello,
I do not have the works done as I deleted them as soon as I finished working and submitted my work as it is sultry and I am not with the group again but I was able to get few that I worked on. I am also attaching some of my work for the Scanlation group I assist as my alias name is [name].
I thought it was a paid job as I checked online. I still help my group out with typesetting and was hoping to apply so I can make an allowance for the main time.

Date: Sat, Aug 1, 7:33 AM
Subject: About recruitment
I'd like to point out this is the same person who sent the email Wed, May 20. lmao. Guess they didn't find a job.
To me:
About recruitment on Quicksandscan is that paid work?

Date: Mon, Aug 10, 8:28 AM
Subject: Applying for Typesetter or Translator
To me:
Hi ma'am/sir

I'am applying for the position of Typesetter or Translator, I have no experience in this kind of field but I like reading manga, mahwa, and watching anime and I can speak, read and write japanese, I am also knowledgeable in using photoshop. Below I attached my resume.

Hoping for your positive response
[attached is LITERAL RESUME, including full name and address. No relevant experience.]

Date: Tue, Aug 25, 8:25 AM
Subject: Typesetter
To me:
Good Evening, are typesetter still open?

From me:
Yes I'm recruiting for a typesetter. Do you have experience?

To me:
Yes, I do. I have experience to be typesetter.

From me:
Great! Could you share some samples?

To me:
Sure, here you go!
[attached are webtoon images typeset in indonesian]

Follow up 3 days later To me:
Good night, what about the typesetter? I can apply?

From me:
Oh sorry!
Yeah I can take you in but you'll need a lot of feedback, if you don't mind.
First, a question and a disclaimer:
Do you use Photoshop?
And this is a volunteer hobby, no pay.

[no response ever again]

Date: Fri, Sep 4, 11:00 AM
Subject: Freelance Job
To me:
Greetings!!

I have gone through the link of your recruitment offer and I have read that you are looking for editors, specifically cleaners. I am a 2nd year college student majoring in accounting. I was wondering if the offer is still open since I need the job to help me during this pandemic.

Thank you!

From me:
Where did you find the listing?

To me:
From here: https://quicksandscans.wordpress.com/recruitment/

From me:
And where on that site does it say that there is any compensation?

To me:
I found the link on this site https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?tid=121230

From me:
....I really should have the admins of that site delete my message, so many people think my post was part of the listing when instead I was just responding to the thread

Date: Sat, Oct 3, 7:05 AM
Subject: Resume for Typesetter
To me:
Hello! Good day. I don't have experience in Typesetting but I have some work samples in my last company that I apply. I didn't complete the test because some stuffs happen. Thank you.

[attached is resume, including full name, photo, and address. Zero relevant experience.]

From me:
Heya, just wondering, where did you find this email?

To me:
I found it on google. When I search for the typesetting jobs. Is this right email address?

Date: Wed, Nov 11, 7:01 AM
Subject: (no subject)
To me:
Hi Quick and Scans

Hi, I saw your qualifications above being a typesetter and I'm so interested in it, am I able to qualify even only for entry level? It's quite my hobby reading manga and watching anime, by the way here is my resume. Thanks for the response.

[attached is resume, including photo, full name, address, and once again zero relevant experience but much more convincing in motivation than the other two]

From me:
Bruh why'd you send me your resume

To me:
:D im sorry i thought i should have to..

From me:
Oh my god no you don't have to this isn't a job or anything

To me:
Oh my god as well.. Im sorry.. I thought it is though..

Date: Mon, Nov 30, 6:14 AM
Subject: Applying for CLRD
To me:
Hello. Ary you still in need of CLRD. I can do the job. I have expirience too. I would gladly do the job if you would let me in. Thank you.

From me:
Yes, we are! for Desert punk and for hyakki yakoushou. Do you have samples?

To me:
Do you give test? My samples are prohibited to give.
[this is a sign of official work since those have NDAs]

From me:
Yes, clean and redraw these and send back as a layered PSD
[attach test images]

To me:
Ok, will do that.

To me:
Hello I'm done with the clrd but if i sent it via gmail the file would change into low quality.

From me:
Please send it over as zipped up layered PSDs

To me:
I'm on it.

New subject: I thought I can't send large files here on gmail. Sorry I misundertood.
To me:
[attached is zip of "cleaned" images]

From me:
hey, do you know how to clean physical raws? These raws do need to be cleaned.

[insert back and forth talking about images/expectations]

To me:
Hello. I think I can't take the job anymore my laptop is broken now and can't be fixed as soon as possible. so I don't have anything to edit anymore. The timing is really bad. Sorry for waisting your time on me. If only it take 1 day to fix but it can't. I'm really sorry

From me:
No worries

[4 days later:]
To me:
Hello. Can I still apply if you're still in need. When my laptop got fixed?

Date: Sat, Dec 5, 6:25 AM
Subject: Application for Typesetter.
To me:
Hello. My name is Rina. I want to apply for typesetter job. I dont have the experience but I have the commitment for the job. I can letter 2 page per day. I will wait for your reply. Thank you.

Everath

Re: People applying to scanlation thinking it's a real job

Postby Everath » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:53 pm

I'm to lazy to look up more...but here is one I got:

Topic: Application for a Translator position for Manhua / Comics / Manga / Manhwa (Chinese to English)
From them:
Dear Sir / Madam,

I would like to apply for a Chinese to English Translator position for Manhua / Comics / Manga / Manhwa.

I am able to commence work immediately and can commit on a long-term basis.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

With Warmest Regards,
[name]
[resume with name, adress, phonenumber and photo, and irrelevant experience attached to the email]

From me:
Hi, you know that this is just hobby, and not a real paid position?

From them:
Oh I see... As my long-term career aspiration is to be a full-time chinese to english translator for comics, will continue to submit my application to other companies, but nevertheless, thank you so much for your help!

Return to “General Discussion”