Sprite, Chapter 61 (RAW SUPPLIER NEEDED!)

EvilLittleThing

Re: Sprite, Chapter 61 (RAW SUPPLIER NEEDED!)

Postby EvilLittleThing » Tue May 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Epson Workforce 520, according to specs has optical resolution of 1200dpi. Epson Print & Scan is a piece of crap though. Really really bad.

ELT

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Then I dunno, I have an Epson L355 and have been using Print & Scan. I can ask our editors for suggestions and get back to you when I have an answer.
EvilLittleThing

Postby EvilLittleThing » Tue May 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Cool, thanks. I wonder what's wrong though, because Windows seems to think it only goes up to 300. At least, that's the highest resolution I get from Paint and Windows Scan. i'm going to search help forums for a work-around. I made a couple scans at that resolution to see what they'd be like, and can share a dropbox link if you're interested. But considering the detail in Sprite it's probably not worth your time.
ELT

EvilLittleThing

Postby EvilLittleThing » Tue May 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Problem solved. Here is a dropbox share link with three 600 dpi files. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0drk54fpm8z6 ... Ckxda?dl=0
ELT

Wraith

Postby Wraith » Tue May 17, 2016 9:51 pm

Heh, I was about to post these tips a scanlator friend has sent me:

He uses IrfanView combined with the proprietary software that comes with the scanner. That enables him to use batch scan and sush (whatever this is). He also says that it is most important to get something black (paper, cardboard, t-shirt, whatever) behind the page you are scanning, and not to use any filters that the scanner offers.

He also says hairdrier is the safest method, you chose well. Microwave and iron can be faster but are trickier to master.

Wanna try again on the same pages? I am going to sleep, but I can take a look at the files again tomorrow evening (I am UTC+1 right now).
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Tue May 17, 2016 9:57 pm

I mean, your pages look promising, I just suggested trying again with the black background to see whether there are any improvements. The paper in a manga volume may be different from Scientific American, but I guess we can get this going. I'll write you a message tomorrow outlining a plan of action. Thanks for taking the time!
EvilLittleThing

Postby EvilLittleThing » Tue May 17, 2016 10:14 pm

Batch scanning is pretty awesome. I think the utility I installed has a feature that allows that, but I'll have to play around a bit to be sure it works right. Will look into IrfanView.

I actually wrapped a little black dress around the scanner lid to keep the top sides from leaking through, but it probably had cat hair on it, and isn't the best solution. If I continue doing this, I'll stick some black poster board up, and use packaging tape to strip the lint and debris off the glass. Also, the pages I scanned were from random things I found lying around and didn't mind destroying (one of my kid's shitty books and a copy of The Scientist from 2014), so they're likely to have fingerprints. I'd wear gloves in the future, to avoid smearing ink.

I'll make some new scans tomorrow, but will probably destroy and scan pages from Pride & Prejudice & Zombies (graphic novel version), because it'll give a better idea of the scan quality and what needs improvement. Sleep well.
ELT

EvilLittleThing

Postby EvilLittleThing » Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 pm

I've scanned the first few pages of PP&Z and they should be available using the same link as before. There are a few spots where the glue smeared the edges, but I think they were like that before disassembly. Most of the page are glue-free. The shading and background detail are more comparable to Sprite, although the paper is heavier than typical manga paper. The margins for this book are black, and the backgrounds typically are dusted in gray gloom/shadows. The black margins of some of the pages fades a bit on one side, which investigation determined to be the external edge. Henceforth the scanner lid will be weighted.
ELT

Wraith

Postby Wraith » Wed May 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks! I've just arrived from a trip. I'll contact you to discuss scanning Sprite in detail via private messages tomorrow.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Thu May 19, 2016 5:34 pm

I've sent you a PM. To see it, click on the envelope icon on the top right corner.

Return to “Releases”