Cleaner Application

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
bubbub

Cleaner Application

Postby bubbub » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:31 am

Name: bubbub
Availability: Generally Monday-Thursday.
What Manga You're Interested In: Destroy & Revolution brought me here but I'm cool with doing whichever. I'm personally most interested in seinen series or superhero/supernatural type stuff.
Software: What software will you be using? Photoshop
Experience: Have you ever did scanlation before?: Not since I was a young teen and I wouldn't even count that. I have a lot of experience with Photoshop but basically none with scanlation.
Other Groups: What other scanlation groups are you currently in?: None

Test: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/324 ... oll%5D.zip

I kinda messed up and did the redrawing for background text on the sixth pdf in addition to the general cleaning, didn't realize till after that someone else would be doing that if I was cleaning, figured I might as well leave it there anyway on a separate layer though.
Last edited by bubbub on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wraith

Re: Cleaner Application

Postby Wraith » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:04 am

Hi, bubbub,

sorry for the late response and long message. Pity that I didn't manage to catch you on IRC, our time zones may be incompatible or something.

First of all, we're not currently recruiting for DxR. There are only three chapters left, and the bulk of cleaning is done by a Photoshop action. What's left after that I can do myself, even though I am not much of a cleaner.

However, if you would still like to join us, our only open cleaning position right now is Sprite. We might revive Funouhan and God, you bastard, I wanna kill you! if the translator comes back, but for now Sprite is our only series that needs a cleaner.

Now, if you want to join us for Sprite, you need to work a little more on your cleaning. As it is now, it is inconsistent: some of your pages are underlevelled, others are overlevelled, and there are other problems.

But we have made things easier for Sprite applicants. The team leader for that series, Momimomi-senpai, has developed a Photoshop action that will automate most of the hard parts (e.g., levelling). All you have to do is to operate the action following the instructions. After the action is over, you still need to crop and Dust the page. Cropping is easy, and Dusting is "easy", meaning that I'm sure you can do it, but it is tedious and takes patience. Here are some guidelines on Dusting for Sprite:

You have to use your instincts to decide whether white specks are dust or art. For example, the white specks on her hair are certainly dust - unless you assume the character has dandruff! - but if you can think of a black area where white specks can be interpreted as part of the art, you can decide to leave them there.

You should also check the white areas for black specks, but be equally careful to make a call what is art and what is dust. For example, black specks in the margins or on skin surfaces are definitely dust, but on the soil, they can simply indicate roughness of the terrain or grass.

Momimomi-senpai adds that in general, for Sprite, if a pic looks like drawn by hand it's more likely to have solid areas of white/black. On the other hand, CGs and photos usually have no solid colors. This series uses lots of CG and old photos are used for backgrounds and landscapes, so it is a tricky series to clean.

If you have read this far, you don't need to redo the same test if you want to apply for Sprite. You just need to perform this test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3l59afpjjbmt ... n.zip?dl=0

This file contains the action, instructions and the page you are supposed to clean. If you do it successfully, you are in.

In case you decide to try, I wish you good luck.
bubbub

Re: Cleaner Application

Postby bubbub » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:19 am

Here's the Sprite test

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/324 ... 20test.zip

My first time making real use of actions so it took me a bit to get the hang of it but I think they came out looking alright.

Return to “Editing”