Redrawer Application

Cleaners, typesetters, editors and redrawers
Shinso

Redrawer Application

Postby Shinso » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:43 pm

Name: Thuan
Availability: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
What Manga You're Interested In: Demon Assassins or Ouroboros
Software: Photoshop CS6, might use paint sai to get clean strokes on certain redraws (separate layers can easily be achieved by just copying the layer the strokes are on).
Experience: Was a typesetter but it was for a month and temporarily took a redrawing role. I quit though because I would get requests to redraw random pages from random series in addition to the series I was typesetting for once they realized I was capable of redrawing. I couldn't keep up so I left, its not easy to typeset and redraw pages.
Other Groups: None (I like to keep it to one group to keep it consistent if that is ok)

My Test:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hpv2o6gso5wt ... ViIha?dl=0

Extra Note: Some of them aren't that great (they can be covered with text but not something people would call art) but I thought these pages would give people a better idea on my approach. I saw the ad for Ouroboros and I thought I'd give the application for a try. I was hoping someone would teach me tricks regarding patterns so I can improve along the way (redraws can be 'ok' but it will always be apparent each redrawer has strengths in certain areas).
Last edited by Shinso on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wraith

Re: Redrawer Application

Postby Wraith » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi, Shinso, thanks for the interest, but the link you have posted doesn't work.
Shinso

Postby Shinso » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Wraith wrote:Hi, Shinso, thanks for the interest, but the link you have posted doesn't work.

I copy'd the wrong link. It should work now I think.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:58 am

OK, Shinso, here's your assessment:

10-152 is a page of Otogi Matsuri. You did it beautifully. Some buildings are changed from their original appearance, but I'd say it is flawless.

0069 and 0070 ought to have been joined together. One of the issues we want applicants to get right is precisely to realise they are halves of a double spread and complete the art as needed. The mouth of the horse in the junction is the hardest redraw there. However, I am impressed that you redrew all the SFX. Still, since one of our redrawers' primary jobs is merging double panels and retouching the junction, in addition to reconstructing missing art, I'm afraid you don't pass this one.

Cradle 02-03: because it was pre-merged, you realised the need to join the panels, but I'm afraid the junction is still very noticeable. I can see your approach, as you said, but we really need that you redraw the panel to completion so we can see whether you can do it. Although the typeset can cover the redrawn areas and we do that in emergencies for certain series, for Ouro specifically we need the redraw to be very good even prior to typesetting, because we give our PSDs to a Spanish group, meaning that the shape of the typeset will change in the end. In other words, we need it to be good irrespective of the typeset. So this one needs improvement to get a pass, too.

Cradle 18-19: you did this junction well, it's imperceptible, especially given that you worked on raws that hadn't been cleaned. You pass.

Cradle 20-21: not so for this one. The junction is very visible, especially around the man's ear and on his shirt. This would need reworking to earn a pass.

OTOGIREDRAW: this is a nightmarish redraw. You did the left part well, but resorted too much to Clone Stamp on the right one. However, this is one of our hardest pages: even though you don't pass for it, we wouldn't fail you just because of it, and the text would most likely cover the problems.

Again, you didn't realise Region 40-41 were supposed to be merged into a double panel and didn't work on the pages.

Region 52: the art was poorly reconstructed. I can see what you say about your problem being patterns. The 10-152 redraw is considered to be much more difficult but you did it perfectly. I guess your strength is drawing itself.

Region 194 was a great redraw, congratulations.

Well… the verdict. I'm afraid you don't pass. Ouro has lots of patterns to rebuild, and both Ouro and Demon Assassins have many double pages. Drawing properly is a must for Ouro and you seem to have it, but it is not enough.

I sympathise with your desire to be taught how to improve your pattern technique, but as I said in the recruitment ad, we only have one redrawer now, so we don't have time to train newcomers. And she is a recluse who doesn't use IRC, so you wouldn't get to have frequent contact with her in any case. So I am sorry we cannot help.

Of course, feel free to re-submit at any time. As we need quite a few redrawers, we are willing to assess any applications thoroughly and accept as many resubmissions as applicants feel they want to do. You do show promise, this application clearly demonstrates you know your way around Photoshop.

If you choose to try again, I wish you good luck!
Shinso

Postby Shinso » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:29 am

Gotcha! Thank you for the feedback. I'll get to fixing those problems I have and resubmit.

Yeah I am really bad with patterns I find that tutorials with reconstructing patterns are very hard because the rely on you to figure out when the pattern starts and ends in smaller pieces. I'm still getting the hang of it.

Return to “Editing”